The Global Student Leadership Summit (GSLS) is the premier leadership conference for students from diverse backgrounds who have participated in study abroad or other international programs. The 6th annual summit will attract dozens of diverse and underrepresented students from colleges and universities nationwide with a simple goal: to develop the skills essential to being a successful leader in a global society. Students will participate in hands-on student leadership sessions, engage in critical dialogue centered on self-reflection and identity, establish and maintain relationships with like-minded student leaders, and connect with professionals from higher education, the public sphere, and private sector. Participation in the GSLS will help students’ strengthen their leadership and develop global competencies including self-awareness, communication, team building, embracing diversity and difference, and more.
WHY GSLS SUMMIT?
The Global Student Leadership Summit is an opportunity for emerging leaders from diverse backgrounds to participate in professional development workshops to enhance their career readiness by learning how to articulate and leverage their international experience for career and graduate opportunities. Students will share their international experiences with education abroad and diversity professionals in attendance at the conference and discover new career possibilities that would benefit from their global experiences through sponsored panels and information sessions. At the same time, GSLS participants will develop awareness of diversity and inclusion especially as it relates to leadership in a global society and consider solutions to global issues through workshops and case studies. Through networking and community-building activities, students will experience meaningful interactions with student leaders from a variety of different colleges and universities.
- Empower student leaders to realize the skills necessary to make an impact on their campuses and in their career.
- Enrich student understanding of international experience through critical reflection and structured engagement on topics such as identity, social justice, inclusion and access, and leadership
- Encourage students to network with other student leaders and professionals and explore ways to apply their international experience to various career, post-graduate, and academic opportunities
- Energize students to harness their global experiences to make real change on their campus, in their communities and in the world
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
We seek GSLS participants who reflect the diverse nature of international experience. Institutions are particularly encouraged to register students who identify with one or more of the following historically underrepresented populations: first-generation, racial/ethnic minority, those with disabilities, high financial need, LGBTQ+, and others not named. While not required to submit separate materials to “apply” to the GSLS, we do ask that nominating institutions identify students who:
- Exhibit exceptional leadership potential
- Are engaged in the campus community
- Are able to speak thoughtfully about their experience abroad
- Will be able to engage in and contribute to the sessions and discussions throughout the GSLS
- Are likely to utilize what they’ve gained from the summit and share with the campus community upon their return
- Have a GPA of a 3.0 or higher